Monday, July 27, 2009

A Friday For The Birds

-but the food was good.

On Friday we went up to work on Bluesette and maybe go sailing. Kind of pretty day. The weather was broken clouds and a threat of rain, but the air was clear and we could see the mountains 20km to the west. Not much in the way of wind though.



A couple of Flying Juniors were out for sailing lessons.


Not much happening. Even the birds were taking a break from fishing.

I trimmed and sanded the repair I made to the bow "lip", but upon inspecting it from below I saw that there were a couple of pukas (Hawaiian for holes) that I had missed on the back. I mixed up some more filler and took care of that, but it meant no sailing until it sets. Next trip I'll finish the job and we'll be good to go.

K sat in the boat reading "JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why it Matters", an excellent and important book by James W Douglas. Kind of heavy material for a day at the yacht harbor though. I spent some time rubbing out some scratches until it was time for a lunch break.

The food at Mama's Kitchen was superb as always. They grow some of their own veggies, such as cherry tomatoes, bell peppers and egg plants, all in pots in front of the restaurant. We took a table by a window with a view of the lake.



K had a shrimp pilaf with carrots and asparagus wrapped in slices of beef


I had pasta with crab sauce



K's came with soup and pickled cucumbers, mine with a desert, which we shared.



On the way out, the chef gave me a couple of fresh bread rolls to take home. K told them about Bluesette and that being the reason we show up every week for lunch.

Back at the harbor, the high school students were taking a break from their sailing lessons, so I looked over their Flying Junior boats. Looks like a fun sailboat. They can be fitted with a trapeze for the more experienced sailors to get the most speed.


These carry a beach ball at the top of the mainsail to keep the boat from turning turtle during a capsize. Otherwise, with Hinuma's shallow depth (only a few meters) the mast can dig into the mud making righting the boat both very difficult and messy.



Johnathan Livingston arrived, taking a perch on the boatyard light and carrying on a conversation with nearby crows while supervising my work.


We called it a day about 15:00 with the idea of coming back for a sail on Sunday or Monday. It was not to be. While wielding an electric hedge trimmer on Saturday, I sprained my right wrist. Awe! Well, that's one way to get out of more yard work, but it also means I can't handle a tiller or mainsheet. I wear brace on it and hopefully it will mend quickly and we can get back out on the water next week.

A day for the birds alright, but that's just part of sailing. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend the day.

Until next, sweet sailing.

5 comments:

Tillerman said...

Ouch. I share your pain. I hate it when a yard work injury stops me from sailing. One year I pulled my back shoveling snow and missed a whole season of frostbiting.

Love those food pictures by the way.

Don Snabulus said...

Ouch, sorry about the wrist. Rest & ice for a little while...

Nice pics and I hope you are out on the water soon!

Anonymous said...

Ouch x3, hope it doesn't stop you from taking pictures and writing. Get better soon, old boy.

MF

Pandabonium said...

Thanks guys. I'm sure it will heal up soon - provided I give it rest. Another message from reality that I need to work on my physical fitness.

Glad you like the food pics, Tillerman.

HappySurfer said...

Ouch here too. Hope your wrist is healing well. Yeah, nice food pictures.