Thursday, January 7, 2010

Shogatsu 2010

Happy New Year, Japanese Style



Some of my resolutions for 2010 (including a few borrowed from friends - thanks) ...

Improve my health and well being and those of others by:

Doing more sailing with K and our friends on Bluesette, of course!

Spending less time on the "internets tubes" or other distractions and more time engaged with family, friends, and thought. The internet is a valuable tool, but like many modern technological tools it requires discipline to be used effectively and not become counterproductive.

Listening to more music (classical and jazz for me)

Meditating more often

Riding my bicycles and walking more

Treading as lightly as possible on our beautiful planet

Doing more gardening

Being kind and gentle to every living thing and protecting all who are weaker than myself

Improving my Japanese language skills (not hard, since I'm so poor at it presently)

so that I can ...

Talk to my neighbors more and meet more of them

And lastly, revisit my resolutions regularly to see how I am doing and renew or amend them as circumstances indicate.

~~~

The above are shared as food for thought. Privately, I have written these down (and some others) and added quantifiable measures where possible. Resolutions are not absolutes, they are aspirations. We are human beings, not machines. I give myself marks for attitude and effort too.

Shinto arrow - New Year's decoration said to ward off evil spirits.


May we all do what we can this year to make things better for everyone and for the planet that sustains us. Have a fulfilling year of the tiger.

Until next, sweet sailing.

4 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

That is a great set of resolutions. May you succeed beyond your expectations.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I agree. Good resolutions all around.

Maybe I should take a few hints from them (such as reducing my Facebook obsession...)

Anonymous said...

Excellent resolutions all of them!

I accidentally erased all the links to different news websites that I had saved on my Firefox blog roll, and I'm actually much happier already. You could say that again, "ward off evil spirits" ;)

MF

HappySurfer said...

Great resolutions, PandaB.

Nice Shinto arrow decoration.