Sunday, February 21, 2010

Noon

Noon is the name of a jazz singer here in Japan. She is from a Korean family and was born in Osaka Prefecture. She's recorded five albums now, a Toyota Home commercial in 2004 (with the song "Close to You"), and received some awards along the way. I like her voice. It reminds me a bit of Blossom Dearie.

Anyway, it was Noon singing Bluesette that we heard when we walked into Mama's Kitchen back on June 29th last year - the day of Bluesette's maiden voyage. Now, thanks to someone in Singapore who posted it on YouTube, I can share that song with you. Aren't the internets tubes wonderful?




Until next, sweet sailing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely arrangement of a terrific song.

That is such a funny story - I can imagine your jaw dropped as your heard the song and recognized its title!

M

Pandabonium said...

M - It really was amazing and was theicing on the cake of a great day sailing.

Zen said...

Very nice, good arrangement, Nice use of the Harp.

Pandabonium said...

Hey Zen. Glad you enjoyed it.

Zen said...

Yes, it sounded like a Chromatic Harmonica, however it could have been a mixer effect.

Pandabonium said...

Zen - Hmm, Yeah, I think your suspicion is correct - at the very end it sounds a lot like keys being played rather than someone blowing harmonica.

Still, nice sound to include in a song written by a harmonica player.

The World Tour said...

A great tune to listen to at the boat. Jazz is my favorite on those early mornings in the harbor.

Pandabonium said...

TWT - Thanks for the comment. We'll follow your progress. All the best.

Chasuk said...

I recently walked into a coffee shop in Songtan, South Korea, and the proprietor was playing Noon.

I instantly fell in love with her.

I have been able to discover almost nothing about her. Your blog gave me more information than I have discovered elsewhere. Is she a Zainichi? Do you know of any web resources with more info?

Thank you very much!

Pandabonium said...

Chasuk - 'don't know if she'd be considered Zainichi as she was born and raised in Japan. Doesn't matter to me, I just like her singing.

Anyway, she has a site at JVC music. Here is her profile page:
http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/-/Profile/A018348.html
it's in Japanese, but you can use a translating program on it if needed.
There are also sample song clips on that site.
Enjoy