Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Snows of Lake Hinuma

or... "The Flake returns to the Lake"...



We hadn't been to Lake Hinuma since December and even if we couldn't go sailing, I at least wanted to spend time working on the boat to have things ship shape and ready to go for the next sail.

The weather for Sunday was forecast to be sunny, if not warm, and that was good enough for me. Little did I expect to find this in our front yard Sunday morning:



Our second snow this year. Well, it was a light one and the sun was burning through. It didn't seem to bother the "hiyodori", known to English speakers as "Brown-eared Bulbul", that was looking for seeds in the field across the street, having long since finished off the leftovers on our mikan (tangerine) tree.



Well, if a little snow didn't bother him, I wasn't going to let it bother me.

Hinuma Yacht Harbor was quiet. Seems no one was interested in sailing in the cold weather. The only people around were a group of men taking the boating license course.

I plopped a thermometer into the water: 5°C (41°F). Brrr. Wetsuit, Drysuit or no. Somehow, I'm OK with waiting a bit longer before venturing out on the lake.

While K made herself comfortable on a floatation cushion and opened a book, I went to work sanding and buffing.

We took a break for lunch at Mama's Kitchen. Sorry - no pictures this time. I really should have taken pictures for you foodies - and me. K had pasta with tomato sauce, eggplant, and bacon. I had a teishoku (set tray) of rice, salmon, special pickled veggies, soy sprouts, miso soup with shijimi clams, and spinach 'omelette' with tomato sauce. Everything was absolutely delicious. There weren't even any bones in the fish.

We also had a desert (mine was on the house - I guess we've been missed) of rare cheesecake and fruit. Before we left, Mama (and daughter) gave us cookies in honor of Valentine's Day. I don't think I've had such a high calorie day in months, but no regrets. It was great.

The ducks don't mind the cold water - they have down jackets. By the way, how do you get down off a duck? I know how to get down of a horse...


It only took me about an hour to finish up with Bluesette - mostly because I had forgotten to bring the bonnets for the electric buffer (doh!), so could only do a few small areas by hand. It was enough, and mid-week I will take the train and go back by myself to do more.

Hinuma Yacht Harbor is "Yamaha Country". Poor fools. When the oil runs dry we'll still be sailing.

Until next, sweet sailing.

2 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Nice bird shot. I'm glad you got some work done and that the weather (eventually) cooperated. Good thing you have that bike...you can burn some of those calories if the weather holds. Thanks to El Niño I've gotten a few rides in during the last couple of weeks.

Pandabonium said...

Thanks. I like the "hiyodori", but they are quite shy so hard to catch with the camera. A handsome bird, they grow to 29 cm (11 inches). We let them have the last of our mikan fruit and also grow berry bushes for them to eat in winter.

My backup to the bike is a long, fast, walk. Can do that in most weather here. Good that you've been able to get in some bike time.

Cheers, Don.