Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Winter Course Corrections



Japanese holidays, new medical tests, and a round of the flu helped to make January fly by with no time for sailing. Hadn't really expected to do much, but I would like to give my dry suit a try. That may have to wait until the water temperature is kopasetic with K's wetsuit's capabilities.

Meanwhile, DoubleWave had a "white sale" on, well, white sails and I ordered a new set. Our existing Elliot/Pattison sails are still good of course, but I have wanted a set of Ullman sails and this sale made it possible.

Judging from race results, Ullman Lido 14 sails are faster, but as we aren't likely to be racing any time soon, that was not the main reason for the purchase. Rather, it is the window in the mainsail as well as jib which attracted me. I am looking forward to less neck twisting in order to see who or what is to our lee. If it makes us a bit quicker in the bargain, that's fine. It will also be nice to have a backup set of sails.

Until next, sweet sailing.

Picture courtesy of Lido 14 Fleet 21, Oceanside.

4 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Congrats on the purchase. I hope the new sails do the job as well as expected. More importantly, I hope the medical tests keep you on a healthy track.

Pandabonium said...

Thanks, Snabby. My test results were good with only one parameter in my blood work slightly out of whack. I'm staying the course that I was already on and just upping the exercise program and vitamin therapy. Meeting with the doc every few months to keep me honest.

Zen said...

Winter sailing is great...

to watch in front of a fireplace in California

Pandabonium said...

My sentiments exactly, Zen.