Monday, March 8, 2010

Farvel - Art van Damme


Art Van Damme April 9, 1920 - February 15, 2010

Norwegian born Art van Damme has left us at age 89. Art was an accordionist who came to the USA with his parents in 1934. He adapted the music of Benny Goodman to accordion and had a long career in television music with NBC. He toured Europe and was very popular with jazz afficianados in Japan. Art died of pneumonia on February 15, 2010.

Here is a recording of Art from 1966 playing - what else? - Bluesette. Enjoy.



And and encore - "My Little Boat"


Farvel (fair well), Art. You were always one hip cat, and when it was hip to be hep, you were hep.

Until next, sweet sailing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, real music.

Word verification: sksitar

(A sanskrit word for accordeon?)

MF

Pandabonium said...

Sksitar? Yeah, I think I heard that in a Beatles tune once...

Glad you enjoyed the tunes. I have some really choice accordion jokes, but when I hear it played like Art did, I shut up and just listen.