Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chili con Vehículos

As our local temperatures keep dipping into the "no sail" zone, I cooked up a batch of Panadbonium's Chili con Vehículos - Vegetarian Chili.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This recipe with shredded cheddar cheese topping.


Here's the recipe, with some options...

1 small onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
(I use a combination of green, yellow, and red ones mixed for visual interest)
3/4 cup (180 ml) chopped celery
3/4 cup (180ml) dry red wine
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped - I love that aroma and it keeps vampires at bay
2 (14.5-ounce) (428 ml) cans recipe-ready diced tomatoes, not drained
1 1/2 (354 ml) cups water
1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato paste
3 teaspoons (15 ml) vegetable bouillon granules
1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh cilantro - also known as corriander
1/3 tablespoon (2.5 ml) chili powder
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
2 (15-ounce) (443 ml) cans kidney, black, or pinto beans, very thoroughly rinsed and drained
OR - what I use, which is freshly cooked organic beans.

To prepare:

Combine onion, bell pepper, celery, wine and garlic in large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Add tomatoes with juice, water, tomato paste, boullion, cilantro, chili powder and cumin; stir well. Stir in beans. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Serve over brown rice with cheddar cheese, sour cream or yogurt topping.

Makes 6 servings.

Notes:

1) As I've mentioned before, I am sensitive to hot spice, so I use a relatively small amount of chili powder. If you like it really hot, and I know some of you are used to much more spice, you can use up to six or ten times as much as I show here - after that I take no responsibility. ;^) Experiment a little. This amount tastes plenty hot enough for me without overpowering the other flavors.

2) Sour cream for accompaniment (optional) or yogurt, or.... We like to use a little grated cheddar cheese on top, when we can get it, or some yogurt. Here in Japan sour cream is very expensive and most cheese is depressingly bland. Besides, plain yogurt is a healthier choice. Try it. It's a great substitute. If you don't do dairy at all, you can use a soy substitute.

3) The rice: I use brown rice. White rice is just brown rice stripped of a lot of fiber and nutrients. Brown rice is so much more healthy and flavorful.

You can freeze the chili and rice (separately) for up to two months. Pop it in the microwave or heat in a saucepan for a quick meal that will satisfy the biggest of appetites.

Itadakimasu! Bon appetit.

Until next, sweet sailing.

6 comments:

HappySurfer said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

Don Snabulus said...

Nice and healthy. I can probably do that on my diet if I watch the quantity of rice.

Pandabonium said...

Happy - 'welcome

Don - yeah, sometimes I eat it without rice. at least with brown rice you are getting much more nutrition per calorie and the bran absorbs fats and contains many nutrients including Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6).

Baydog said...

Hey, where's the bacon fat?
And, brown rice is far superior to sticky white rice. Just the chewiness alone is worth it.

Pandabonium said...

Baydog,
Well, then it wouldn't be vegetarian, would it? Personally, I don't eat pigs and think that would spoil the flavor, but feel free to improvise.

Baydog said...

True. Why is meat always on my mind?