Saturday, June 12, 2010

A 大安 (Taian) Day

大安 (Taian) is a "good luck" day marked on some Japanese calendars. There are five other types of days with various meanings - some good, some bad, some mixed. They are calculated using the Japan Linisolar calendar. Taian is the best of them and is supposed to be good for things like weddings or opening businesses. Today was one.

A nice six knot (seven mph) breeze from east-southeast made for great sailing on lake Hinuma today. The skies were a little hazy, but most of that burned off by afternoon, with the temperature hitting 29°C (84°F).




The crew relaxing on a downwind leg after a SoyJoy bar some orange juice - 'don't want her getting scurvy on these long voyages.



The captain was drinking something stronger - mugicha (barley tea).


Oddly enough, we didn't see a single mullet jump today. Perhaps the lake had more oxygen content? Also, there was only one other sailboat on the lake. So we practically had the place to ourselves. While coming in to dock, I did have to a little maneuvering to avoid the two PWCs (jet skiis) being used for licensing exams, but it went smoothly. As you can see, we both forgot our caps, but happily not the sunscreen.

By the time we got to Mama's Kitchen for lunch it was after 2pm so the lunch specials were no longer available. Kimie had pasta with oil and mushrooms and ordered a desert, I chose pasta with tomato and crab sauce (below).


The salad bar was closed, but Mama came out with a nice salad for each of us.


Kimie's desert was amazing. A strawberry roll cake with strawberries and cherries and a drizzle of chocolate, plus a glass of gelatin and fruit with ginger ale on top. I hadn't ordered desert, but was given one of the gelatin/fruit/ginger ale thingies anyway. Nice treat on a summery day.

Until next, sweet sailing.

12 comments:

Baydog said...

For two years I went to school in western Pennsylvania. They had some unique preferences out there, one of which was milk and Jello. One would fill the glass with Jello, top it with milk, then stir until the Jello disintegrated into tiny, suspended bits. They would then drink the concoction with pleasure. The gelatin-ginger ale thing reminds me of that. I could probably enjoy it. I'm easy

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - milk and jello, if that doesn't sound as American as apple pie, I don't know what does. This desert is like that - after you eat the pear and strawberry pieces, you stir up the gelatin and ginger ale and drink it together. Kind of fun stuff we did as kids, yeah?

Don Snabulus said...

Given the vessel, I would call that Baaarrrrrrrrghly tea, me hearties.

Pandabonium said...

Don - arrr, right ye be, matey ... but you know, posting pirate talk on a sailing blog is a very slippery slope. :o

Arkonbey said...

"gelatin/fruit/ginger ale thingies"

Is that a literal translation:)

and, I'm sorry, but I can't see a bunch of old tars singing "all for me barley tea, me jolly barley tea"

Pandabonium said...

Arkonbey - only the thingies part.

That's what happens when tree-hugging, granola munching pirates take over - hardtack and grog give way to SoyJoy bars and barley tea.

Thanks for the link. :)

Baydog said...

PB: Apologies to my veggy friend. It was foie gras masquerading as mushrooms in my kale. I know, I know, It's bad for me. But just once in awhile doesn't usually hurt. Right? :|

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - you think it's bad for you, look at it from the duck's point of view. ;^)

If we all ate only those things that we were sure were good for us, would we live longer? Or would it just seem like it? Enjoy life, Baydog. I'm just ribbing you.

Baydog said...

Thanks man.. sometimes I feel like I'm infringing on peoples' beliefs.

Pandabonium said...

Perish the thought my friend.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I seriously need to find this Mama's Kitchen you keep talking about and stop in for lunch one of these weekends.

I love the bottle for your mugicha!

Pandabonium said...

Moody - it's easy to find as it's by itself, near いこいの村涸沼 and right on the road that goes along the south shore of Hinuma.

Come join us for sailing sometime.