Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sunday Crescendo

Sunday morning we found the winds were taking it easy at about 3 knots or less.

Two "Semi" (pronounced "seh-mee" - Japanese for cicada) were set up in hopes of attracting renters, but the only other sailboat that went out was a Sea Hopper (Yamaha version of Laser).

Soon after casting off, the wind picked up some to perhaps 5 knots, which made for some nice leisurely sailing. We made our way to the northeast corner of lake Hinuma, where it starts to narrow to become the Hinuma river.

A water skier was headed our way, so we changed tack to stay well out of the way. There was an accident involving a collision of two PWCs (aka Jet Ski) last week, so I'm being extra cautious about the proximity of power boats. Those cumulus building up was a sign of things to come later in the evening.

Near Hinuma Nursing Home (not a bad spot for one), the shore was lined with people looking for a place to cool off.




We took a break for lunch at Mama's. Didn't bring the camera, so you'll have to take our word for it. We had pasta with eggplant and tuna in tomato sauce, the salad bar and the desert which was a very light cheese cake with fresh fruit.

When we returned, Bluesette had been moved to the end of the dock to make room for stink pots other boats.

The all new "Belchfire 90"!

Bluesette looked so dainty next to these gas guzzling brutes.


We went out for another hour and a half. All the while, the wind kept increasing until it was up around 9 knots with higher gusts, but nothing really scary. On our way back in, we were often close to the Sea Hopper and I was glad for the windows in the new sails.


We had to tack a few times as we waited for the stink pots other boats which had returned ahead of us to be pulled out of the water. After giving Bluesette a bath and taking showers ourselves, we settled in the yacht club for a tall cool one.

Kimie had an interesting conversation with Mr. Hakuta who reminisced about his college days, cruising on sailboats around Japan and learning to sail dinghies on the lake using just sails, without touching the rudder, during winter when the air is more dense.

He showed us a copy of Minoru Saito's book, which he got when Mr. Saito visited Hinuma Yacht Harbor while raising funds for his present voyage around the world. (see my recent post about Saito-san "The Old Man and the Seas").

Later in the evening, the weather continued to crescendo until we had a full blown thunder storm. Our dog Momo asked to come inside, and soon thereafter we lost our internet connection and for a short while all electricity.

Winds and percussion. The great orchestra of the weather.

Until next, sweet sailing.

9 comments:

Baydog said...

In NJ, Cicadas, Belchfires, and stink pots are held in the same contempt. Luckily, Cicadas come around only once every 17 years. They sound like someone is using a weedwhacker 24/7.

Pandabonium said...

We didn't have cicadas in Hawaii, so when I moved here I was surprised by their noise. Now I'm used to them. We have several species around here, with life cycles of 2 to 5 years, so we have lots every summer. They all have distinct sounds and I actually enjoy some of the "songs". One of them makes a sound like a ghost - ooooo ooooo rising and falling - perfect background sound for stories around the campfire.

The Moody Minstrel said...

The sound of cicadas (cicadae?) is said to arouse great sentiment in Japanese because it's a sound immediately identified with mid to late summer. They're not bad once you get used to them.

But these thunderstorms and gully-washers we've been getting lately...

(Did you see the last post on my blog?)

Pandabonium said...

Ah, the maestro himself!
I think the plural is "bugs".
I just read your post. Oh my. Happily, my FIL isn't in a position to do such to me. I think he'd have four flat tires if he did .... "gee, must have been the lightening"

Don Snabulus said...

Those are impressive rates of rise on the cumulonimbus clouds...tall and thin usually means a lot of convection I think. Portland is spared such fun, but my time in the mountains had its exciting moments (sans FIL).

Arkonbey said...

I'll take the Bluesette over a PWC any day. I am disappointed by the lack of photos of delectable food at the end of the post, though.

We're actually heading to my Step-Mother-in-Law's family camp on Brant Lake in upper New York State this weekend and she's going to teach me to sail!

Yee-Ha!

Arkonbey said...

Just want to add that a cicada just started up outside my window as I closed the sweet-bluesette.blgospot.com window, and stopped just now as I'm telling you that it started.

Pandabonium said...

Don - I was glad they didn't get serious until long after we left the lake.

Arkonbey - we just got back from a vacation will make up for the lack of food pics in short order ~ probably will be posted on Pacific Islander rather than here though.

Wow! That sounds great. Have a wonderful time.

That cicada hopped right out of my blog and into your yard - teleportation.

Anonymous said...

@Kevin -- I'd been endeavoring to give you a communication however i can’t find it for your site. Could you you need to visit my site?
My page ... Female Car Insurance