Monday, September 13, 2010

Dancing Ailerons

All the weather predictions went out the window on Sunday and with them, our sailing plans. We went to the harbor anyway.

This is rice harvesting season in these parts. Near the lake, there were several farmers cutting it the old fashioned way - well, without a combine anyway - and hanging it to dry on racks in the field. Latter they can winnow the grain and use the stalks for many purposes, everything from mulch to braided slippers and rope, to compost for mushrooms.



Instead of the forecast 5 knots, the wind was 12 to 15 knots, making for some chop and white caps on the lake. Not our kind of day - even the larger fishing boats had come back early. The only sail on the lake was a lone windsurfer.



Our only company was a crab shell. Reminded me of Baydog for some reason. Well, not Baydog himself mind you, but his post with a crab restaurant in it.

The upside was that I got to finish sanding and waxing the transom and putting on the plastic strips which I hope will keep the boom from scratching and nicking the gelcoat. Kimie had brought along a book to read when she wasn't helping me (Anne Frank in English).

I noticed that the bridle to which the main sheet attaches had started to wear at the point where it goes through the deck, so I bought a new piece of line and replaced that. Not into waiting until it starts to look really bad and risk having it let loose while under way - I don't think that would be much fun.

So at least the day was productive. And of course, we had a nice lunch. Kimie had pork curry and rice, and I had pasta with smoked duck (a pit too spicy with ground pepper for my taste, but otherwise nice), asparagus stems and mushrooms.

Alas, poor Daffy! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest...

Mama treated us to her "panna cotta" for desert - made without dairy.


Nice texture and not too sweet. The "mushroom" on top has a cookie stem and chocolate hood.

As I have no sailing pics to share, I hope you'll enjoy this video of "dancing Ailerons" - Aileron 20's showing off to the tune of "When the Saints Go Marching In" (By Rebirth Brass Band . Nice 'bone and tuba soli!).



W.D. Schock (builders of the Lido 14) makes a day sailor that looks very similar - the Harbor 20 - and it's a good thing we don't live near a bigger lake, or I'd be sorely pressed to resist the temptation to own one. (Don't worry Kimie, as long as you'll be my crew, I'll stick with Bluesette).

Until next, sweet sailing.

14 comments:

Baydog said...

Talk to Doc about the Harbor 20s!
Duck pasta looks delicious. I can't figure you out. The vegetarian kind of all of a sudden likes chicken and duck. Is it only red meat that you don't care for? I know you love fish. Curious

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - my eating habits are proritized for health, environment, and compassion for animals. But I am a pragmatist. I eat mostly vegetarian, but fish in moderation. When there is no other menu choice I'll go for fowl on occasion. Beef and pork score really poorly on all three counts, so I avoid those entirely, which is easy to do.

Martin J Frid said...

Now that looks like fun sailing! I didn't know boats were allowed to do stuff like that - and the music just goes so well with the loops and twists and turns.

So do I get to do a turn like at 0.30 next time at Hinuma?

Pandabonium said...

Martin - Short answer: no. you can't.

What gives these boats (and the Harbor 20 as well) the ability to turn like that is a combination of two things - a heavy keel that removes almost any chance of capsizing, and a "jib boom". The jib on these boats has its own boom, like the mainsail, and the clew (bottom, aft corner of the sail) does not go past the mast like the jib of the Lido does. So, there is no need to mess with the jib when coming about - it just swings over to the other side.

Glad you enjoyed the video.

Frankie said...

Hi, I had your other blog 'Pacific Islander' on my blog list but I just realized you actually update this one... so I changed my blog list!

Pandabonium said...

Frankie - thanks. I do update Pacific Islander, but much less often since the posts are usually longer and there are lots of pictures to go through. Sorry about that.

Sweet Bluesette is usually updated about once a week.

Thank you for reading and putting me on your blog list!

ladybug said...

Love your posts about the food! And the wonderful pictures to go with...glad the day was productive as well. Sorry I haven't been visiting as much, so many projects in the fire as it were. The beaniac will be off to college next Sunday...maybe we'll post some pictures!

Martin J Frid said...

Glad to hear I don't need to worry about the loops... Reminds med of the old joke:

Young French ballet dancer gets into taxi, asks, "How fast can I get to the Paris Opera?"
Driver: "Depends on how hard you practice!"

bonnie said...

And Martin in turn reminds me of the old Carnegie Hall joke -

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
"Practice, practice, practice."

I worked at Carnegie Hall for a few years when I first moved to NY & had to bite my tongue to keep from giving that answer in response to more than one phone call.

Pandabonium said...

Ladybug - thanks. Hinuma is in such a rural area, it's amazing that such a wonderful restaurant as Mama's is located there. It's part of our day when we go there, so I'll keep posting the food pics.
Go beaniac! You've done good Ladybug, she's a great kid.

Martin - ba-dum-bump.

Bonnie - music (and humor) is the universal language.... we even tell the same jokes about it.

Arkonbey said...

Wow! Those are wicked maneuverable little vessels! Of course, wicked experienced sailors does help, I suppose.

I'm glad the Rebirth tuba player avoided doing one of those solos that every brass band seems to do since the Youngblood Brass Band came on the scene.

Pandabonium said...

Arkonbey - yeah, experience counts.

Rebirth is a New Orleans band and while they do create new songs and improvise, they stick to the dixieland style. Were you referring to vocalizing through the horn while playing? annoying.

bowsprite said...

oh ohoh! the food looks amazing! Your beautiful little crab photo made me think of this: http://vimeo.com/2512787 funny!!!

Pandabonium said...

bowsprite - thanks for the funny clip. :)