Thursday, September 16, 2010

How Embarrassing

My previous post should have been titled "Dancing Alerions".

I hope you will forgive this airplane pilot and son of an aeronautical engineer for thinking the name of the boat was "Aileron" rather than Alerion. Good grief Charlie Brown.

Alerion refers to a noble eagle. Aileron refers to the moveable surface on the outer portion of an airplane wing which is used to induce roll about the longitudinal axis. For me, the latter sprang to mind and that's what I wrote. Since sails work in the same way as wings, I think the mistake is understandable.

Sorry about that.

9 comments:

Baydog said...

We knew what you meant

O Docker said...

Thought it was intentional, Mr. Malaprop.

But my head just works that way.

O Docker said...

But, now I'm not sure whether you've done the same with the title of this post as well.

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - ten Q.

O Docker - Intentional, yeah, that's the ticket. I meant to do that.

I seldom make mistrakes.

bonnie said...

Ha! I thought Aileron was a lovely & appropriate name for a boat!

Arkonbey said...

Easy mistake to make, I suppose.

Naming a sailboat "Aileron" makes more sense than naming a car a "Sonata"

Pandabonium said...

Bonnie - it sounded right to me. Then O Docker caught me misspelling "embarrassed" in the title of this post. Ack.

Arkonbey - A bit dyslexia was no doubt involved. Car names here are crazy - the worst being the Mitsubishi Pajero SUV. Pajero in Spanish means "wanker". They also market a "Mini Pajero". Yikes.

Baydog said...

That would be me. Anyway..........
I must be slipping 'cause I caught the Aileron mistrake immediately, but was embarassed by the embarrassing title. I think I'll go to bed now.

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - I can't even come up with a tomato recipe these days. Totally useless. But just had a fabulous three day vacation at a cliffside resort, so no longer care. ;^)

Thanks for your comment, appreciated as always.