I haven't been doing much riding this summer in the 90+ºF heat, so haven't needed the bike at Hinuma. I have found a better solution to leaving a bike at the station anyway - a Brompton folding bicycle which I can take with me on the train.
The saddle bag carries a cover (required on trains in Japan). It takes just a minute or two to unfold or fold and is light enough to carry up the station stairs without difficulty. It also has two luggage sized wheels which allow one to pull it along when it is folded. Mine is a 3 speed and it rides even better than the bike it replaces.
Friday was my first trip to the lake with it and it worked like a charm. The weather was nice too, as the temperature had backed off into the mid 80's F.
I had a number of tasks I wanted to complete. First was to check to see if water had gotten into the boat during the storm we had this week - remnants of a typhoon which dumped a lot of rain here. Yes, some had, due to three small holes in the boat cover. Those holes had been previously patched, but the patches were worn out and in need of replacement. I found that the jib, which was laying in the bottom of the boat was wet. So first job, lay out the jib to dry and patch the holes with a more permanent material. I also put some lubricant on the jib snaps that attach it to the forestay to make them easier to use, cleaned up the mast and replaced a worn nylon cleat. An hour gone already! Lunch time.
I rode the bike down to Mama's and though they were curious as to Kimie's whereabouts, was served another great lunch. This time, flounder with a thick, sweet shoyu sauce and slivered ginger on top.
With Kimie absent, there was no desert (thankfully) but Mama brought me a delicious glass of iced green tea instead.
Fifty minutes lunch break, so back to work. The next agenda was to try out a solution for Bluesette's dinged up transom. (The transom, for my non-sailor readers, is the "back end" of the boat.)
The classic Lido 14 had a track and car system for the mainsheet to travel on, so a metal track covered the transom and protected it from the boom when one lowered the mainsail. The new model - hull #6000 and above, uses a bridle attached at either side of the transom so the transom itself is unprotected and the boom can, and does scratch the gel coat, especially when you lower the mainsail on a windy day.
An hour of wet sanding with 3 grades of paper and buffing with rubbing compound, I had this:
My "solution", once I get the finish back to where I want it, is to lay clear plastic car door bumper strips across the transom. I found some just the right length so that there will be a short one where the rudder cutout is and a longer one on each side. They will no doubt prevent scratches, but the question is whether or not they will stay on. Since they are designed to stick to car doors, I'm hoping the glue is strong enough.
That test will have to wait. As it would take twenty minutes or so just to put everything away, I was out of time if I were to catch the train home. I should have remembered the universal law of time: Things take longer than they do. (Though, paradoxically, the trains here run on time.) As it was, I just made it to the platform as the train pulled into the station. Whew.
We'll be sailing again tomorrow. Sometime next week I'll go back to work on the transom again. This time I'll take an earlier train up and a later one home and hopefully complete the task.
Until next, sweet sailing.