Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Lido 14 Story

The Small Boat Review section in the February issue of Southwinds Magazine (which covers the eight southeastern states) features the story of the Lido 14.

Did I say "southeastern states"? Yes! While most sailors think of the Lido as a California boat, I was surprised to learn that for a time Schock Corp produced them in Bradenton, Florida, and that post-Hurricane Katrina, the Pontchartrain Yacht Club chose the Lido 14 as part of their fleet mix. There are now 16 of them there.


Lido 14s (a Laser, and a Finn*) on Lake Pontchartrain, LA
*Thanks, Baydog

You can download the magazine here: Southwinds Magazine February 2011 (16.1 MB). The Lido article starts on page 39.

Get your own Lido 14 from W.D. Schock or the suppliers listed on the right under "OTHER PORTS OF CALL".

Incidentally, the author of the review, Jabbo Gordon, is a retired submariner in the US Navy and is presently the program director of the Venice (Florida) Youth Boating Association VYBA where he has previously served as summer instructor and chief coach since 1995.

Until next, sweet sailing.

8 comments:

Baydog said...

Don't leave out the Finn, PB!

Pandabonium said...

Good eye, Baydog! MF would never forgive me if I left it out, the Finn being a Swedish creation.

tillerman said...

Don't leave out the Laser PB!

Pandabonium said...

I mentioned it only because I knew you would come down on me like a ton of bricks if I didn't. ;^)

bonnie said...

Hi - I just wanted to say that I hope you and yours are all OK after the earthquake today.

Pandabonium said...

Thanks, Bonnie. We're OK. Some damage to the house. I'll post about it soon.

The quake - epicenter far to our north - was 7.9 on the Richter. 7 on the Japanese scale of 1 to 7. We felt it as a lower 6 on that scale:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Meteorological_Agency_seismic_intensity_scale

Tsunami warning up and down the coast for 2 to 3 meters waves (10 feet). Evacuations in some areas. We are high and dry here.

I'll sign off now. It hasn't stopped shaking since I sat down to write this.

bonnie said...

I'm glad you and K and Momo are OK and far enough above sea level to be out of tsunami range. When I'd gotten home last night there weren't reports of them having hit yet but this morning it looks terrible.

Carol Anne said...

So glad you're all right.

Not sure what to make of the verification word: inhurrym