Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tell Fate Yanagi I Love Her






Hawaii's Rap Reiplinger became popular in the 1970s after forming a three man comedy troupe called "Booga Booga". He went on to do solo tours across the US Mainland playing in top clubs including 'The Aladdin' in Las Vegas, 'Catch a Rising Star' in New York, and at 'The Improv' in Los Angeles. He also won an Emmy Award in 1982 for his Public Television special 'Rap's Hawaii,' which he both wrote and starred in, and took home a bronze medal from the International Film and Television Festival of New York for "Most Outstanding Television Production". His video and recordings are still available through the Hawaii music label "The Mountain Apple Company".

Tragically, like many talented artists of his generation, he had a problem with drugs and died of a cocaine overdose in January of 1984 at the age of 33. His work lives on though and continues to inspire other Hawaiian actors and comedians as well as to entertain us all.

Until next, sweet sailing.

6 comments:

bonnie said...

Oh my god. I started laughing the minute I saw Fate Yanagi on the thumbnail for your blog over on Baydog's blog. What a shock!

TQ and I had a great evening one night earlier in the winter when I realized that there was a treasure trove of Rap on YouTube.

I think I'd seen a reference to his having passed away in there somewhere, and I was sad to read that, but I had no idea he died so young.

I was trying to figure out how that was possible and then I realized that that was after I'd been hauled off to Washington State, and that we didn't have the internet back then.

Pandabonium said...

Bonnie - KGMB TV announced a few days ago that they have started work on a Rap Reiplinger special which will "probe the layers of laughs and lunacy we all adored from the late comedian-actor-writer". It will air in September.

I am so glad some of his work is still around to give us a laugh.

Martin J Frid said...

Just what the doctor prescribed for the weekend!

Arkonbey said...

That's some hair he's got!

And I can't figure out what's wrong with Fate's left eye at 2:34? Anybody else see something strange?

Pandabonium said...

Arkonbey, that's wild. I never noticed. Looks like a long scar.

Pandabonium said...

I think it was maybe a fake eyelash?