Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Winter Is For The Birds

I recently put a birdbath in our front yard. Unlike the bird feeder I hung which only one bird has found so far, the bath was an instant hit. Within an hour, a "Brown Eared Bulbul" - one who likes to hang out in our yard to eat our kumquats - was enjoying the water.

This morning I set up a camera on a tripod near the birdbath and after about 20 minutes caught a "Dusky Thrush" on video. He stayed over five minutes, drinking and preening and checking our mikan (mandarin orange) tree for fruit.



The Dusky Thrush is a Siberian bird that migrates south to east Asia in winter.

It does get down to freezing here at times, but only briefly in the early morning. Days are well above freezing. So I empty the birdbath at night and refill it in the morning.

Note: Sorry about the traffic noise - it was "rush hour", or perhaps "thrush hour". There is an odd electronic noise too - like a data stream sound. The camera was right under the telephone lines, so perhaps the electronics picked up RFI from there.

4 comments:

Baydog said...

Where's the snow, PB? This looks way too much like springtime.

Our birdfeeder is dominated by squirrels, including one or two black ones, who apparently made their way from England, via Princeton.

Pandabonium said...

The snow is where I like it, Baydog - far away from me. They got 32 inches yesterday in Fukui Prefecture.

I've never seen a squirrel at this place. Other mammals yes, but nothing to compete for the seeds.

Arkonbey said...

That's it. Dusky Thrush just sounds so cool that I'm going to start an indie rock band called Dusky Thrush.

Verification word is FRONK: Maybe I'll start a punk band called Fronk...

Pandabonium said...

Ha! I had a similar reaction and thought the name sounded like a country-western singer, or perhaps cowboy hero. Hey, there's a comic strip in there somewhere...

Dusky Thrush and his sidekick, Fronk.