Thursday, May 12, 2011

Grace Kelly and Bluesette

I love Grace Kelly movies. I even wrote her a letter when I was in college - not a fan letter, it was business/politics. That's another story. This post is not about the actress/princess ...

There is another Grace Kelly today. A young saxophone player. If you are not yet familiar with her music and are a jazz fan, you will be soon enough. Here she is performing "All the Things You Are" and "Bluesette" with the man himself - Toots Thielemans (Kenny Werner on piano).



Of the experience, Grace writes,
"Wow!! Toots Thielemans and me. It was such an amazing and surprising night at Scullers Jazz Club. I got to sit in with one of my biggest musical inspirations that I have been listening to on recordings since the beginning of my musical career. I went to Scullers to see the show with Toots Thielemans and Kenny Werner on Wednesday and got to meet them. They had heard of me but had never heard me play. They asked if I would like to sit in with them the next night. I said of course. I stepped on stage for their last number. That was the first notes we played together, not even a sound check. It was magical!! Toots is the sweetest man and very funny too. We had a ball hanging out after the show too. Another indelible memory for my memory book." - April 1, 2011

"Memory book" she says. She's all of 18 years old, so she has a while yet to compile that "book". But she's certainly got the talent for it to be quite a book before she's done. She's off to a hell of a good start. Her website is here: Grace Kelly.

Until next, sweet sailing.

1 comment:

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Yes, I think (reluctantly) the world is finally ready for a 2nd Grace Kelly!