Friday, November 18, 2011

Goodbye Yesterday

As I have mentioned before on this blog, as well as on Pacific Islander, Imai Miki has long been a favorite singer of mine. I saw her once with her husband at Kahului Airport on Maui, as they made their way to a tour helicopter, while I was walking to my airplane. Her husband is also a pilot, flying a plane like the one I had at the time.

Anyway, I remember listening to this song on my laptop in 2004 as I was flying over the Pacific in a 747 on my way to Japan and a new home, indeed, a new homeland, and a new life.

Since the Great Northeast Japan Earthquake and Tsunami in March, the song has taken on a new meaning for me. But regardless of when or where we are on this crazy world, sailing through space, I think there is meaning and hope to be found in this song.

Unlike the version I listened to on my flight, with full orchestra, drums, guitars, etc. behind her, this version was recorded with only her voice and a piano. It highlights her vocal skills.

Here is Imai Miki singing Goodbye Yesterday (and hello tomorrow) Enjoy -


By the way, in the video, Miki-san's hair is cut short. Japanese will sometimes cut their hair short to signify a new beginning or a fresh start. This often happens after getting over some kind of hardship.

Kimie's translation:

GOODBYE YESTERDAY*

Goodbye yesterday
Here I am now
Who was born again
Look, more than ever
Smiles suit me, don’t they?

I laughed and cried as much as I could
I found my true self
Finally I have reached
The path that leads me to eternal kindness

Every time you shed tears
The closer you should get to your happiness
Tomorrow starts from goodbye
Goodbye yesterday
And hello tomorrow

Even if you love someone
And will be hurt from it
That is a sweet scar
A milestone for tomorrow

When you accept everything
The light will approach you
When you are embraced by the sky
Eternity will be engraved on your heart

The seasons come and go like winds
I cut my hair short
The world welcomes the morning today too
Goodbye yesterday…
Goodbye yesterday…

Being embraced by joy and sorrow
I gently smile
Goodbye is the gratitude to yesterday
Goodbye yesterday
And hello tomorrow…

Until next, sweet sailing.

*Updated with new translation 4:20 AM 11/19/11

4 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Interesting lyrics and well sung.

Pandabonium said...

Don,

Since you left your comment, Kimie has provided me with her own translation of the lyrics which I have used to update the post. Same sentiment, but more accurate and perhaps easier to read.

Martin J Frid said...

Lovely rendition, I was in Kyoto when you posted and really wanted to listen to this properly. Thanks for providing the lyrics!

Recently I have fallen heads over heels for Seiko Niizuma, another singer with a big heart and a great voice. Check her out!

Pandabonium said...

Martin,

Thanks. Nice post of Seiko Niizuma. She does have a great voice.