Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Helmets Can Be Cool

Just in case anyone got the idea from my comments on the great Tillerman's blog (and I refer to him as such in sincere admiration) that I don't think helmets are appropriate in some situations, here is a photo of myself, Pandabonium, and my sidekick Tonto K, looking cool in helmets at Lake Toya, Hokkaido, July 2011.


Pandabonium: "Well Tonto, we are surrounded by natives. It looks like we are finished."

K: "What you mean 'we' Kimosabe?"


And don't forget, when German voters replaced Chancellor Helmut Schmidt with Helmut Kohl in 1982, they weren't changing Chancellors, they were just exchanging Helmuts! And no one dared to challenge the Germans about the use of Helmuts at the time.


Until next, sweet sailing. And mind the boom!

8 comments:

bonnie said...

hee hee hee.

The geekiest of helmets is still cooler than busting your head open on a rock, or somebody else's hull.

Pandabonium said...

Bonnie - You're right. It's all a matter of risk. Some activities - like dinghy sailing - are very low risk as far as head injury goes. Others, like white water kayaking are higher risk.

Our helmets in the picture are the geekiest. Personally, I wouldn't normally wear a helmet when riding a horse that isn't going to move faster than a trot, but the stable required it. More for their protection than ours I think.

Baydog said...

And who the hell knows what that crazy horse is gonna do?

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - This is the first time I ever wore a helmet while horseback riding (and I've been doing that from time to time since I was 9). The helmets did prove useful though as we rode through some trees which otherwise would have been brushing our heads.

Don Snabulus said...

When I was in Scouts in the 80s, the scouts wore helmets and the staff wore cowboy hats. Now everyone wears helmets.

Pandabonium said...

Interesting. It only makes sense if for no other reason than the staff needs to set an example.

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

It's not "Tanto". It's "Tonto"!

Pandabonium said...

Forgive me Mr. Silverheels!