Thursday, November 3, 2011

Smooth Bottom

We went up to Hinuma to check on Bluesette and do some basic maintenance.

Photobucket

First stop was Mama's Kitchen, where Kimie enjoyed some pork, ham pilaf, and sides, while I had pasta with sardines in tomato sauce. We shared my fruit and cheesecake desert. One of the sides we were each served was interesting and very tasty - sweet potato stems (in the square white dish in the photo).

I won't bore you with details of everything I did - mostly cleaning (acetone makes a good cleaner) and lubricating. Of course the first thing we had to do was bail rainwater. One fine day, when it is sunny and I have lots of time, we'll scrub boat cover and after it dries spray it with Teflon to make it waterproof again.

I crawled under Bluesette and checked out what was going on in the centerboard trunk. We've been having trouble getting it to retract all the way up into the trunk. Not an uncommon problem with Lidos, but it was getting worse, with the board hanging down 4 to 5 inches at the aft end.

Photobucket

Does your board hang low? Does it wobble to and fro?


I hate getting into such confined spaces, and squeezing between the steel frame of the sendai and the hull is to invite bruising, but it had to be done. I found a bunch of reed stalks up in there which I cleaned out. Also found a piece of fiberglass, but couldn't fetch it. But after the cleaning we were able to get the board to retract so that only about 2 inches hangs down. Good enough I'm told. My main concern wasn't drag anyway, but making sure we clear the frame of the sendai when launching. As I recall the classic Lido I sailed as a kid had a mahogany centerboard which was much lighter than the present fiberglass ones and was not difficult to raise.

Photobucket
View from down under.


Time well spent. It was a bit cold - 68 F - and I had neglected to bring a jacket. After first helping me with the centerboard, Kimie relaxed in the car - nice and cozy - with a book.

Had we not had maintenance to do and had dressed warmly it would have been a good day to go sailing, but we'd have been the only ones doing so. Better not to defer maintenance though. It always seems to come back to bite one in a most awkward place.

Photobucket

The new club house is coming right along. Mr. Hakuta informed us that it will be completed by November 15th!

Until next, sweet sailing.

4 comments:

O Docker said...

Oh no you don't.

You're just waiting for someone to fall for that trap of commenting about your smooth bottom.

Well, not me, buster.

Pandabonium said...

Bummer.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Just don't keel yourself with the maintenance.

(Keel-haul youself...?)

Pandabonium said...

Moody - thanks for dropping by.

The pain of getting under the boat comes from the frame of the %#*! sendai (trolly). As you can see in the pic, it is made of steel L channel - like an over-sized bed frame - so one has to try to stay off it while squeezing in or out. Could really do a job on one's shins or forearms. Then there is crawling on hands and knees on concrete which isn't fun either.

I'd like to figure out a way to roll the boat on its side for such work.