Saturday, February 11, 2012

Return to Luce

We hadn't been out to eat since January 1st - about which I'll post soon - so as we found ourselves in Kamisu City around 13:00 we decided to have lunch at our favorite seafood/Italian restaurant; Wordsworth. Being Saturday and a national holiday (Foundation Day), they were packed, so rather than wait, we decided to try "Luce" again which some readers may recall is where we had lunch last March sixteen days after the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. At the time, they had no water service but were making due with paper plates and using bottled water for cooking.
March 27, 2011 - an empty parking lot


We found them fairly busy this time, but no waiting, and of course, offering a full menu. We shared pasta with tomato sauce and crab, and a four cheese pizza. The main room seats about 40 people, though there were not nearly that many there for lunch today. The back room appeared to be full though. The furnishings are light woods with tables of knotty pine. In one corner there is a large screen playing a travelogue of Venice while a voice that sounded to me like Astrud Gilberto sang in the background. It was a most relaxed ambiance. I could see the owner/chef working in the kitchen through an arched pass through.

I didn't have my camera, so K took a photo of the crab pasta with her cell phone:

Photobucket
The flavor of the crab was infused throughout the pasta. Yum.


They first served a nice salad in a sweet balsamic vinaigrette dressing, minestrone soup, and bread with seasoned tomato on top. It was all very fresh and flavorful.

The pizza was amazing. Crisp yet tender crust and the right amount of cheeses and herbs - ie not too much cheese as one finds all to often and which tends to ruin the crust - and the cheeses used were excellent. This is one of two restaurants in the Kashima-Kamisu area which gets pizza right.

Desert was also "not too much" - a cup of panna cotta with diced strawberry on top and a small wedge of spongecake on a bit of whipped cream.

Sorry I didn't have my camera with me. Ah, well, I volunteer to go back again just to get more pics. Last year, the tsunami waters came within one block of the restaurant and along with the quake literally sank that street. It was nice to see that their perseverance through the tough time paid off and business is apparently good again. It should be. The food is great.

Until next, sweet sailing.

7 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

The picture looks good even with a crab staring back at me. It sounded like a wonderful meal and good of you to get them back on their feet.

Pandabonium said...

Well, we meant to go back sooner. In any case I'm glad we did and will certainly go again.

bonnie said...

Yum!

Arkonbey said...

Even though I tend not to eat things with more limbs than me, I really appreciate a good restaurant coming back from hard times!

I also applaud your resolve and courage to return again to properly document the meal. I know it will put you out greatly.

Though, of course, not as horrific as the earthquake/tsunami, our big event up here, Hurricane Irene, devastated a corridor of small restaurants and inns. I hope they can come back.

Martin J Frid said...

And what a come-back it is. The entire region near you guys seem to have an amazing resolve. I'm impressed.

Of course we all now eagerly await your come-back avec camera!

Zen said...

Wow, It looks like Southern CAL!

Pandabonium said...

Zen - I grew up in the San Fernando Valley - it never looked so good. The rest of Kamisu City is the pits - 4 lane divided highway lined with big box stores even worse suburban sprawl than in the US. The "planners" should be doing time.