Sunday, June 24, 2012

Horseshoes

They say "almost" only counts in a game of horseshoes.   I disagree. 



We almost went sailing today, and it counted for me.  Had we stayed home and not even made the attempt, that would not have counted.  But we went to the lake, worked on Bluesette, checked out the conditions and decided not to sail - as much we have wanted to.   I walked out onto the dock, felt the air, observed the waves, the whitecaps beginning to form. The wind was just a tad too strong for us at this stage.    Had this day been our third or fourth outing this year, it would have been different.  But as I've been out of commission and K was not all that enthused today, I did not want to go out in winds that would have taken everything I had to cope with and put my crew ill at ease as well.   The idea for us is to have fun.  We'll wait for  the right conditions for our first sail of the year.

We enjoyed lunch at the clubhouse, bailed the water from Typhoon Guchol out of Bluesette and aired her, then put her cover back on with an added a rope that will hopefully keep the cover more taught and prevent water from getting in next time, so she'll be more ready for us when the chance arises. Next weekend is looking to be perfect.   

A part of sailing is sometimes having to decide not to go sailing. "Almost" most certainly does count.

While no other sailors went out on the lake today, the yacht harbor had its busiest day in two years thanks to fishermen and students who were taking the licensing course. A happy change from 2011.

Until next, sweet sailing.

13 comments:

Sandscraper said...

Nice seeing Bluesette again, I face the same senario when I am in the Keys, to sail or not to sail. Sometimes I throw in a single reef, sometimes a double and then there are times, after reefing, I just stand there and say no way.I get your message loud and clear, and unexpected bath or an unhappy crew isn't worth it. Looking forward to hearing about next week, safe and happy sailing.

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

I'm glad you're recovered enough to think about sailing. That's a blessing.

MVP (my main crew) and I agree not to call off a day's sailing until we're actually sitting onboard. That's based on experience. You did the right thing. One stat the weatherman doesn't provide is the AEF (Anticipated Enjoyment Factor). You & K have to provide the instrumentation to measure AEF. I'm inclined to say I wish we had some of your weather. Maybe I somewhat wish we had some of your weather.

O Docker said...

À propos typo.

Only you can decide when is the forth sail of the year.

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Can you proof my copy, O'Doc? I'll pay you twice what Panda pays you!

Pandabonium said...

Sandscraper - thanks. I've never smoked a double reefer...oh wait, that's not what you're talking about.

Doc H - H Docker? Thanks. I'll add AEF to my sailing vocabulary.

O Docker - corrected. It wasn't our fourth and we didn't go forth and make froth on lake.

O Docker said...

Pity you're not in Scotland.

On your first foray forth the froth would fly in the firth.

O Docker said...

And hey, who's the docker here?

Pandabonium said...

Häagen-Dazs O Docker Doc,
Two sailors forayed forth up the Dock.
The firth struck one
But other frothed on
Häagen-Dazs O Docker Doc

Martin J Frid said...

Sounds like the eight day of the ancient Nordic calender, the Frothday.

Pandabonium said...

Martin - In honor of the Vikings inventing Cappuccino?

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Californians invented Cappuccino.

Don Snabulus said...

Yes, but Vikings invented Californians, or maybe that was Minnesotans.

PB, glad you got a chance to check things out. I am looking forward to your next sailing adventure.

Zen said...

Wise move, well played.