We almost went sailing today, and it counted for me. Had we stayed home and not even made the attempt, that would not have counted. But we went to the lake, worked on Bluesette, checked out the conditions and decided not to sail - as much we have wanted to. I walked out onto the dock, felt the air, observed the waves, the whitecaps beginning to form. The wind was just a tad too strong for us at this stage. Had this day been our third or fourth outing this year, it would have been different. But as I've been out of commission and K was not all that enthused today, I did not want to go out in winds that would have taken everything I had to cope with and put my crew ill at ease as well. The idea for us is to have fun. We'll wait for the right conditions for our first sail of the year.
We enjoyed lunch at the clubhouse, bailed the water from Typhoon Guchol out of Bluesette and aired her, then put her cover back on with an added a rope that will hopefully keep the cover more taught and prevent water from getting in next time, so she'll be more ready for us when the chance arises. Next weekend is looking to be perfect.
A part of sailing is sometimes having to decide not to go sailing. "Almost" most certainly does count.
While no other sailors went out on the lake today, the yacht harbor had its busiest day in two years thanks to fishermen and students who were taking the licensing course. A happy change from 2011.
Until next, sweet sailing.