Sunday, April 14, 2013

Long Winded

Saturday was fine, but K had to work.    Sunday is here and so are the winds - 23 knots with gusts up to 30 knots (that's 26.5 mph and 34.5 mph gusts).  No thank you.

Forecast from Windfinder.com

Next Saturday is looking good and K won't have to work then.  Hope springs eternal.

Out of curiosity (and frustration) I took a look at when we have started our sailing season in previous years.   Last year at this time I was being discharged from a 19 day hospitalization and wasn't fit for duty until May 20th.   In 2011 we didn't start until May due to the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. 

We didn't get into the water until May 3rd in 2010.   Our first year of sailing here was 2009 and the date we first sailed Bluesette was June 27.

So although I am always antsy to start sailing in April, the fact is that we have never done it.   I suppose I need to take a deep breath and relax rather than get all worked up.      There is a Japanese proverb にんたいはにがしされどそのみはあまし - nintai wa nigashisaredomo sono mi wa amashi - which translates into English as "Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet".   

Until next, sweet sailing.


I have also seen this quote attributed to both Aristotle and Jean Jacques Rousseau.   Amazing.  I didn't know they were Japanese, or even more amazing, that they could have known each other.    ;)  
Whoever first said it, they were right on. 

2 comments:

R W Rawles said...

にんたいはにがしされどそのみはあまし -
I'll try to remember that. What Trophy Wife keeps telling me....!
=^,,^=

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

It's been 12 December (approximately) until today since I have sailed on my boat. Does that work out to be five months? How much longer will it take before I become accustomed to not sailing? I've built crews up before but that was always starting with a nucleus. Will I have anything to build with from northing? Am I fooling myself in thinking about racing again? Am I better off letting that part of me lapse weeks further into the past?

Questions abound!