Saturday, April 20, 2013

Of Note

We're still dry - too cold Saturday and cold rain coming Sunday. Grumble grumble. Ah, well, Golden Week is coming and K will have lots of days off.

While waiting for actual sailing pics from us, have a listen to this recent video of the USAF big band, Airmen of Note, which was created in 1950 to carry on the tradition of Major Glenn Miller's Army Air Corps dance band.  They don't hire slouches.  All of these musicians have impressive credentials:


Speaking of Glenn Miller....
Striking resemblance, eh?  Coincidence? You decide.
Besides my good looks (cough), and my King 2B Silver Sonic trombone, I have another tenuous connection to Glenn Miller.  As a young lad of 20, I went on a concert band/studio band tour of Europe.  I was first trombone, but we had a special studio band trombone soloist, Murray McEachern.  On the flight back to the USA from Amsterdam to Chicago I sat next to him and he taught me how to memorize a deck of cards (for fun and profit), while I consumed a whole box of liqueur filled chocolates (hic).  Good fun.   If you're not a jazz aficionado and don't know of him, Murray was one hell of a trombone player and alto sax man too.  In addition to playing for/owning famous big bands of the 20th century, he played trombone solos for the movie "The Glenn Miller Story" (1954) starring James Stewart in the title role.   Great movie.  Great trombonists.  Lucky Panda.

Stewart flanked by Louis Armstrong and Murray McEachern

Until next, sweet sailing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you!
k

my2fish said...

sounds like that was a fun plane ride!

Anonymous said...

One of my all-time favourite music films. Love the scene where Miller accidentally discovers the clarinet-plus-saxophone sound. MF

Pandabonium said...

my2fish - indeed is was. In hindsight, I wish I had taken more advantage to learn more from a great musician. Sigh.

MF - I like the film a lot, but two things bothered me about it 1)I never liked June Alison and 2) the way Stewart tilted his head to the left when pretending to play trombone - weird. Ah well, I can overlook those aspects and enjoy the great music and great musicians that took part in the film - Louis Armstrong, Gene Krupa, Trummy Young, the Modernaires, et al - does it get any better?