Sunday, May 26, 2013

Remembering

Memorial Day's roots are unclear, but one thing is certain to me - it is the most regrettable and unnecessary holiday ever.  Not that we shouldn't honor those who have died fighting in wars, but one would hope that by remembering them we would learn not to have any more wars.  That would be the greatest honor we could offer in their memory. 



A Girl Scout (my granddaughter Bailey) placing leis in the Veterans Cemetery on Maui, Hawaii.  I remember her mom and aunt as children making leis for Memorial Day.

"The force which makes for war does not derive its strength from the interested motives of evil men; it derives its strength from the disinterested motives of good men."  
 
 ~ Nobel Peace Laureate Sir Norman Angell 
 
 Until next, sweet - and peaceful - sailing.

3 comments:

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Yes, there are just and unjust wars. But it's critically important to remember that those who served and sacrificed never started any of them. To war or not to war is a civilian function. In other words, it's on us: we must take increased devotion to that cause of peace for which they gave the last full measure of devotion.

my2fish said...

my brother deployed with the Air Force (reserves) to the Middle East yesterday (Memorial Day). I pray for his safety, and respect his service - it is not something I could do.

Pandabonium said...

Doc - I think we agree completely.

my2fish - I hope your brother will be safe and able to come home before too long. I don't think I could do that either.