Monday, July 29, 2013

Unprecedented

Is what the Japan Meteorological Agency calls the rainfall that Japan is receiving.   Lucky for us, we're getting an amount that our garden likes.  In other prefectures though, such as Yamaguchi and Shimane, downpours have swollen rivers and caused floods, mudslides and destruction of some roads and homes.   There is one known death and two people are missing.  In Hagi, Shimane Prefecture,where 1600 residents had to evacuate, they received 138.5mm (5.5 inches) in a single hour!

As good a time as any to be unable to sail, I suppose.  K is taking a raft of university exams - two down and more five to go over the next several days, while  I am on sick leave from  having somehow (I don't really know what I did) torn a muscle or ligament in my lower back last Friday.

Our okra plants like the rain we've been getting.   Stubborn to get started, I've been waiting week after week for them to grow beyond scrawny little twigs,  they have suddenly taken off.   I noted the beginnings of fruit several days ago.   Today each plant had a flower and to my surprise the fruit had grown rather huge.  I cut off four of them as they were already too large to be good for eating.    Fortunately there are lots of little ones  and I'll keep a watchful eye on them so we harvest them in time to eat.

This is my first attempt at growing okra.  I didn't know they were such beautiful plants.




























Until next, sweet sailing.

10 comments:

George A said...

Some like okra fried but my mother used it to thicken soups and stews. Quite delicious!

Pandabonium said...

George -

Yes indeed. I've got a black bean and rice gumbo recipe I'm anxious to try with the first harvest.

Baydog said...

A mighty fine gumbo at that. Yes, once they get long in the tooth, it's like chewing on a tree branch. Try pickling them, Panda. Delicious garnish in a martini!

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - get pickled with a pickle?

Martin J Frid said...

Too bad about the lower back just when the weeds are out there doing what they do best in the garden! Stay safe and fair winds...

Pandabonium said...

Thanks Martin. Too bad K has exams and can't do the weeding for me. ;)

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Rain? Rainfall? What's that? It sounds like it's wet? Is that what you have? You say you're having too much of it?

Pandabonium said...

Welcome to climate chaos, Doc.

R W Rawles said...

Color me green with envy.

Pandabonium said...

R W - Sea green, perhaps.