Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cast Off!

Three and a half minutes of  explicit, uncensored, raw sailing aboard sweet Bluesette. September 14, 2013.    We cast off at 27 seconds in.   Enjoy...

.


Remember Arthur Lyman?  I remember listening to his music in the 50's as my parents bought his LPs (Taboo was a great one), and forty years later had the privilege of playing in a big band featuring him as a guest artist at a fund raiser for the Maui Symphony Orchestra (under the direction of James French) at the Ritz Carlton, Kapalua on Maui.   Great musician and a kind gentleman.  Start the following clip about a minute into the first and it makes good accompaniment. 



Until next, sweet sailing.

8 comments:

Baydog said...

I'm where the camera is, dragging my fingers in the water. Mesmerizing.
Vince Guaraldi does a great version of that tune...

Pandabonium said...

Baydog - glad you got into the right frame of mind. Welcome aboard.

Guaraldi composed it I think. He was great.

George A said...

Great mood lifting music. Perfect tonic for a cold rainy day.

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

Roger what George A says.

On the sailing clip, I kept looking up, out of the frame, to see if I could watch the tell-tales. Can you adjust your GoPro camera to capture both the surface and the lowest tell-tale? (To much to ask?) Going to listen to that Lyman clip again....

Baydog said...

Doc!!!! You're obsessed with the telltales like I am! They're just pleasure sailing!

Pandabonium said...

George - glad you like the music. Very retro Hawaiian "exotica" which was started by Martin Denny in the 50's.

Doc - it wouldn't help to adjust the camera. When I got new sails two years ago, I never installed any telltales, so I just have one on the jib. :)



Don Snabulus said...

My grandfather was stationed in Hawaii during WWII. He felt a great attachment to the islands and one of the things I remember growing up was that he enjoyed Arthur Lyman. I have a few of his CDs now (as well as a couple of finds on vinyl) and Mele Kalikimaka (remade as "With a Christmas Vibe" for some reason) is a staple around our house at Christmas.

You always seem to come up with neat connections like that.

Pandabonium said...

That's so cool, Don. I have a couple of Lyman CDs myself. That seems so serendipitous.

The name of the Mele Kalikimaka album was probably changed because there must be a lot of albums with that name and song and it makes it confusing for people trying to find it. Just a guess.