Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Sailing Before The Storm

K steers from the lee side of the boat while I snap some pics.

Our first opportunity to sail in 2014 turned out to be Sunday, July 6th.   By the end of the week, typhoon number 8 "Neoguri " threatened with wind and rain.

Laser/Sea Hopper sailors were busy holding trials for the Japan national races.  Sadly for them there was not much wind, so only four boats were competing.

As I had mislaid the little pad thingy that attaches the camera to the mount, pics had to be done by hand.  K took the helm to allow me to take some pics of the racers.

Three Sea Hoppers and a Laser attempt to start a race in light winds.



In honor of my youngest daughter I wore a Notre Dame shirt and my newly acquired Boeing cap.




The wind was gentle and only reached about seven knots.  A nice breeze for our first time out this year.    

A new radiation monitor was in the lake's center.  It sported a wind speed and direction monitor.   Monitors of the ocean bottom have shown that in ridge and slope areas there is little radiation, while in low muddy bottoms the radioactive particles have settled.   Glad I gave up sea food due to other health issues!

One of two radiation monitor stations in the lake now.

K took a couple of embarrassing pics of me after we docked.  Here I am undoing the downhaul/cunningham before lowering the mainsail.




After sailing there was no "Mama's" to go to for lunch, so we visited Ikoinomura Hinuma (the neighboring resort) to grab some lunch.

 
Miso soup
Soba (buckwheat) noodles

On the way out, I noticed the large lotus ponds that hotel has in front of it.  I took this pic which coincidentally showed the back side of what used to be Mama's restaurant.  Sigh.  

Lotus flowers are so beautiful and the root is a delicious veggie.  Lotus also has a long history in Asian culture as a religious symbol.

Nice to finally get out on the water this year.  Looking forward to more such days.

Until next, sweet sailing!



8 comments:

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

I am glad to see that you are again buoyant in your Lido. I am wondering which is faster, the Grasshopper or the Laser? I am also wondering what is embarrassing about being photographed de-rigging your boat? Particularly because you appear in your Notre Dame shirt to be in perfectly good health. Speaking of which, I read through the pages dedicated to your medical team. I especially noted the autobiographical piece by John McDougall, which I will be forwarding to Trophy Wife.

All the best!

Pandabonium said...

I think the Grasshopper (Sea Hopper actually - my mistake) and Laser are very close in performance.

McDougall is great. He has an excellent free program on his website and loads of recipes in the free newsletters online. He is on YouTube as well. Some really amazing stories by patients there https://www.youtube.com/user/drmcdougallmd/videos

my2fish said...

I think the boat owner that has his boat tipped over in the background of your one picture is who should be embarrassed!

Pandabonium said...

my2fish - it's strange I know, but many of the Seahopper and Laser sailors leave their boats "parked" like that at lunch time rather than tie up at their dock.

my2fish said...

wait, what?! really? that seems very bizarre to me... but whatever works, I guess!

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

In my days of racing Lasers, we wore wet suits and parked this way. Not necessarily to eat lunch, but for comfort breaks. (I hope that's not TMI for this blog!)

Zen said...

Ahhh, you are back, now I can catch up! DId you see my sail to Okinawa?

Pandabonium said...

Zen, gomen. I did not realize that you still posted things to Zen's Sekai II: By Sea! I read Sekai I from time to time.

I'll go read up on your Okinawa adventure. I'll also add Sekai II to the blog roll. :)