Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Technosphere Control


I used to own a "cell phone" - over a decade ago.   It was "necessary" for my business.  While it was useful for that, its incessant ringing also greatly increased my anxiety level, contributing to ill health (by increasing the cortisol in my blood).   I am no longer plagued by that thing.

Some of my friends consider me an "anti-technology extremist" as I also don't watch TV or drive a car.  Sigh.  This charge is simply untrue.   On his blog, Club Orlov,  sailor, engineer, and author,  Dmitry Orlov recently expressed his own similar sentiments well:

"I haven't repudiated technology at all; I have merely become very careful in selecting it. I do own a cell phone, a laptop, a bicycle and a few other bits of carefully selected technology. ... I didn't move to a cabin ... ; instead, I sold the house and the car, quit the job and went sailing."

For myself, I love my bicycles (all three of them) as well as my tadpole trike and am looking into yet another bike (each has a specialized purpose).   I love my Lido 14, Bluesette, of course, and  am looking into acquiring another boat (again for a special purpose).  My laptop and desktop computers work fine and I see no need for more.  And unlike Dmitry, I will be building a sort of "cabin" in a remote place, far from the Technosphere (with a capital T).  I don't plan on moving there permanently any time soon, but do look forward to spending substantial amounts of time there in coming years.

I hope that whatever technologies you embrace or eschew, you too will go sailing.

Until next, sweet sailing.

3 comments:

bonnie said...

Sounds like some nice plans! Good to hear from you again!

Don Snabulus said...

Technology and gadgets are how I currently make money, so I am stuck with them for a while. Thanks to surveillance, crime, and greed most of the fun has gone out of it, but my bike, books, and nature offset the rest. Good to hear from you again.

Martin J Frid said...

Bike, books, nature and making pots on the wheel... I'm still surprised each time I get to sell my cups and bowls, but it's a fun way to make money. I get to make original things that people actually use, and no surveillance, crime, and greed involved!

If I was thinking of building my own house, it would be a small loghouse. And I would like to teach others how to do it, too.